Dear Valued Family Pet Veterinary Center Clients,
We would like to inform you of an upcoming change regarding filling prescriptions that are requested through outside pharmacies. Our clients have always had the option to choose where they fill their pet’s prescriptions, including heartworm, flea, and tick preventatives. We now receive several dozen prescription requests from various pharmacies each week. Each of these requests requires individual review by our veterinary staff. In order to provide the highest standard of care to all of our patients, effective 6/1/2023, we will no longer approve prescription requests for prescription diets and medications, including flea/tick and heartworm prevention, through third party pharmacies. This includes, but is not limited to, outside pharmacies such as:
- Sam’s Club
What does this mean for you?
- If you choose to purchase a prescription medication that we carry in the clinic at an outside pharmacy, we will now require you to pick up a written paper prescription from our front desk.
- We will not approve prescription requests that are faxed to us from any pharmacy (Chewy, 1800PetMeds, Costco, etc) nor any that are received via an online portal.
- A written paper prescription must be picked up from the clinic and submitted to the pharmacy by the client. We are unable to send written prescriptions by email or mail.
- If there is an online portal for written prescriptions to be uploaded, this must be done by the client after picking up the written prescription.
- Please allow 48 hours for all written prescriptions to be prepared and approved by our veterinarians. The only exceptions allowed will be compounded medications that we are unable to carry in the clinic and some medications such as phenobarbital that require a higher level of control than our pharmacy allows us to manage.
- For your convenience, please visit our online pharmacy to have medications delivered: fampetvet.myvetstoreonline.pharmacy. If you need assistance with setting up your account, we are here to help. Our team monitors requests through our online pharmacy and the prescription requests are reviewed by our management and DVM team. Medications purchased from our online pharmacy are shipped directly to your home from our distributor. They carry the same quality and effectiveness guarantees as those dispensed directly from the clinic. This is something important and not available to products purchased through outside pharmacies. Orders over $49 qualify for free shipping and our online pharmacy has access to many manufacturer rebates that are not available through outside pharmacies.
- We understand that there are individual situations where you may wish to continue your relationship with an outside pharmacy. We want you to understand that the products purchased through outside pharmacies do not come with the same safety guarantees that products purchased through us or our online store. We cannot guarantee that the products are handled, labeled and stored appropriately, therefore leaving the safety and effectiveness of those products questionable. We will continue to maintain our goal to keep our online pharmacy competitively priced. If you cannot find the product that you are looking for, please reach out to our team and we will review the request as we can often add the product to our online pharmacy.
We appreciate your understanding in this matter. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us.
Thank you for trusting us to care for your beloved family member!
- The Family Pet Veterinary Center Management Team